The commercial tower is rising up and more glasswork is visible around the bottom now.
Around the other side of the building the finishing touches on the support columns were being added and lots of work happening to finishing off the lower floors.
The entrance to the W Hotel was looking like it would be ready for the opening.
The W logo took several days to get in place and lit up. The final lighting seems to include a coloured light strip along the edge of the white cladding, it's a nice effect.
Even at the end of the month and with the June 1st opening looming closer there were obvious bits of finishing work left to do. Not all of the windows have been installed on the North Quay side of the hotel where a crane was installed throughout the construction. There was also some kind of work left to do on the roof (it can be seen from Victoria bridge that something is just not completed there) and no doubt all throughout the hotel. I've reached out to Multiplex to ask for updates but received no response.
The footpath on the George Street side was closed for a period in May while the bottom entrance areas were completed ahead of the W Hotel opening.
Now to updates from Bernard…
- lots of facade cladding installed to the south side of the hotel core
- installation of formwork continuing for the office tower. I wish they'd paint the floor numbers on the core like they did for the hotel!
- sealing / painting of more of the podium roof slab near the George St side.
9 May 2018 -
- cladding is nearly done on the hotel, just a little bit left at the top
- the eighth steel-framed floor has been poured on the office tower
- the crane on Ann St has been raised. I'll have to go through the time-lapse images to see when.
10 May 2018 -
Looks like the northern half of the office tower core formwork is being prepared for dismantling. I'm not sure, but I think the lift core changes shape somewhere around this level (perhaps only half the lifts go any higher).
15 May 2018 -
- the northern half of the office tower core formwork has been mostly dismantled
21 May 2018 -
- New sections being added to the southern crane today.
- steel beams being installed for the next office level;
- most of the footpath area at the corner of George & Adelaide is complete, and the facade around that area is mostly complete, with some electrical / lighting work still to be done.
- it appears that the last of the hotel cladding is complete, so work on that building is all internal now.
22 May 2018 -
- The facade cladding / glazing is being added to the bottom two floors of the office tower
- blue formwork for the ninth steel-framed level is being laid
30 May 2018 -
- formwork going up for the tenth steel floor
- looks like concrete is being poured into the steel columns from a crane bucket
- both cranes have climbed recently
- glazing now fitted to parts of the bottom three floors of the office tower
- work continues on the podium levels